Friday, May 20, 2016

Five on Friday {Favorite Podcasts}

It's time for Five on Friday!

Every week, one of the fabulous blogs I read, A Liz Adventures (click here) has her readers post five things; whatever is on their mind! I always find this fun, especially when a writing prompt just doesn't cut it for me.

This week I would like to share with you my FIVE favorite PODCASTS.

First, a disclaimer. I spend 8+ hours a day in a cubical maze. I am not a call center employee, but due to spacing my team sits among the call center folks. So it gets loud and very distracting. I don't always care to listen to music, mostly because it is really, really hard to not burst out and sing a long. So I started listening (or re-listening) to podcasts.

Normally, I like the story telling ones, like Serial . Sometimes, I just like some information, or something fun. That is the neat thing about podcasts, most are free and you are given a wide variety of genres to listen too.

So, here is my TOP FIVE (in some order)that I listen to almost daily...or often at least, because you can go into a podcast binge, just like Netflix. I am not going to go into detail over what they are about just my opinions as to why I think they are just plain awesome.

1.
As I mentioned, Serial is my number one favorite. Although it is in between seasons, I got hooked last December and listened to ALL OF SEASON one in about 3 days. Season 2 I binged on for about 2 days and then was caught up-so I had to wait...for a week. A whole week! Now I have to wait for hopefully not too much longer for Season 3. Sarah Koenig tells a story, from all aspects, her intelligent research and captivating voice along with some really good journalism, it's no wonder this was iTunes top podcast. 




2.
I am not a fan of horror movies. It is more so a love and really, really hate relationship. I enjoy movies like "World War Z" and "The Village" (I know).  I love the tv show LOST and I do enjoy Supernatural. That being said, horror would not be my go to for genre. However,  I came across LORE and like Serial, I binged listened and now am stuck waiting each week for a new episode.  Adam Mahnke tells the stories of ghosts, monsters and other supernaturals,  that are truly terrifying, making the shows tag line sometimes the truth is more frightening than fiction enough to send chills down your spine.

3.
Coming in on a very close third, Unexplained , host Richard Maclean Smith tells the stories that we are not sure are true or not. These are the stories that our brains cannot wrap around, yet at the same time gives us the explanation, or part of one. These are the stories that you tell around the campfire to scare the living daylights out of the younger crowd, or heck the older crowd as well.


4.
I think it would be fair to say that this podcast along with LORE and Unexplained would fall into the number two spot. I am not sure of the hosts name, I am sure I just missed it. He is Australian, and a lot of the Case-files are true crime stories from Australia. Some of them are just down right horrific, and this is not something to listen to with children around.  The stories range from a dead body found on a park bench and the mystery that surrounds it to a horrible story of child murder.

5.
To get out of the terrifying stories that make me jump and look of my shoulder constantly, and also the reason behind my motivation, Dave Ramsey is number 5. Let me say though he is not my number 5 favorite podcast, this is my number 1 non horror or story telling podcast. On the list of "Things I wish someone told me when I was younger" would be to listen to and live by Dave Ramsey. His no nonsense approach to callers questions and his sincere happiness when listeners call in or visit his office to do their debt free scream.  I have to tell you that my husband and I have a lot of work to do, but I hope that in the next 5 years we are able to call in (or better go to Nashville and meet the man) and say loud and proud "WE ARE DEBT FREE!!!"

Honorable mention:
I really can not put these in order of favorites, Serial is my favorite if I had to pick one, but really the rest are all my favorites.
The History Chicks. A fun, down to earth history lesson of some of the greatest women of all time. These ladies go beyond what we learned (or in some cases did not learn) in history class.







Myths and Legends. From Grimm's fairy tales to Viking lore, and all of the stories in between. You will hear a story, the origins and some other cultural versions along with the mythical creature of the week. 






Hailing from my hometown, the windy city, comes a hilarious trivia news podcast brought to you by NPR. I love NPR, but besides for news, I love the comic relief Wait Wait Don't Tell Me! brings.





The Black Tapes Podcast goes into my "lets scare the living hell out of Liz" category. It is like the X Files and Serial merged together (in fact that is from a review I read). There are parts that are kind of slow, and then there is this seemingly underlying love story between the host Alex Reagan and Dr. Strand (or that may all be in my head).







Well there you have it folks!
If you are a podcast listener, and have any to recommend, I would really appreciate it!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment