Sunday, May 22, 2016

Grace filled Sunday { a continuation of learning the proverbs 31 wife}

Remember when I did a devotional on being the woman God wants me to be? It was an interesting 90 days, where I took a second shot at the devotional by Donna Partow. Basically, she broke down the Proverbs 31 woman into daily reflections and small changes to make to start becoming the woman God wants all of us to be.
I think I am long overdue for a refresher.

If you are not familiar with this verse, God is describing, really the "perfect" woman/wife. Don't take the word perfect too seriously. We are not going to be perfect-because if we are not perfect that means God isn't finished yet. Maybe ideal would be a better word. Better yet, a guideline, yes let us go with that, God's guideline for women.

This is not something that happens over night, nor should it. However, I firmly believe that studying this verse will bring us closer to God.

When I first did this devotional, the bible translation was the NIV. Looking at it from a catholic translation, which you can find here at the USCCB website, puts the challenge in a whole new light.

This week, I am going to focus on the first part few verses, 10-11. The verse in the New American Bible says "Who can find a woman of worth? Far beyond jewels is her value. Her husband trusts her judgement; He does not lack income"
In the NIV, the verse is translated as "A wife of noble character, who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value."
For purposes of my study, I will use the NAB as the primary, and the NIV to help clear up the language, hopefully making it easier to understand.

What is a woman of worth? What does noble character mean? To me, this woman would demonstrate the following virtues;
-Humility
-Responsibility
-Integrity
-Honesty
-Wisdom
-Citizenship
-Perseverance
-Courage
-Friendship
(these are the virtues that my children's school bases their culture on, if you live in Arizona or Texas, I encourage you to look for a Great Hearts School)

What does it mean to be worth far more than jewels or rubies? When Proverbs was written, jewels (especially rubies) were rare, expensive and only worn by royalty. We are all daughters of God, royalty in the Kingdom of Heaven, shouldn't we place the value on ourselves to be worthy of that place?

Her husband trusts her judgement and has full confidence in her (they go hand in hand). What kind of wife does a husband not trust? Why would a husband not have full confidence in his wife? Does your husband trust you with the budget? Grocery shopping? Raising children? Does he have confidence that you would be okay if he were gone?

He lacks nothing of value/he does not lack income. This one I will admit was hard for me. My husband was unemployed for two years. Even now that he is working, I make more money. This isn't a competition or bragging session. What I think this verse is saying is "is the husband worthy of such a wife?" I will leave it at that.

This week, my main focus will be on praying and practicing the virtues of an honorable, worthy characteristics. How can I be more (fill in the blank)?

Until next time:

Here's who I am linking up with this week! Make sure you check them out!


A Proverbs 31 Wife
I just discovered this blog and love it!

Please leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment