Thursday, May 26, 2016

Thrifty Thursday {Make your own bread}


There is nothing more delicious then fresh, home baked bread. The delightful aroma of the warm dough rising in the kitchen, the brilliant bouquet of flour baking in the oven, reminds me of when I was a kid, dancing around in my grandma's kitchen, waiting patiently for a fresh slice. Unfortunately, I have no idea what her recipe was so when I found this one, I was over the moon when I tried it and the distant memory raced itself back to the forefront.
No this is not really my grandma.



Feeding 2 teenage boys, 4 more under the age of 10 (not by much, 7.8,9,9) a hubby and of course myself is no easy feat. When a recipe says it feeds 8, it lies. I am always quadrupling what I make to ensure that not only does everyone have enough to eat, but that there are leftovers for lunches (after the midnight fridge raiders).  Oh, and when you have a $500/month food budget-it's time to not only get creative, but thrifty. So roll up your sleeves girls...we are going to make our own bread.

Before I get started-a few disclaimers. This bread is addictive. So make 4 loaves when you really only need one. Because I assure you, 3 of them will barely be out of the oven and they will be gone.


I first found this yummy recipe over at Scratch this with Sandy



Photo courtesy of Scratch this with Sandy


I have made a few modifications to the original recipe, I will show you how I make it and what I switched.



Instead of oil, I use applesauce. It accomplishes the same, giving the dough the moisture. I also have found that it gives the bread a lighter, more fluffy texture.
I also let the bread rise a bit longer in both phases. This too gives the bread a lighter feel and still the rich flavor.

I hope you do enjoy-and please leave a comment if you tried it and like it (or don't like it, but honestly I think you will love it just as much as we do!)




Who I am linking up with today!
Make sure you give them a look!




No comments:

Post a Comment